Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Time to Sleep – I wish!


“Mommy… can you cook my oatmeal?” said a soft voice.  I felt a small but insistent tug on my arm. 

Groggily, I opened my eyes and looked blearily at the little face peering up at me.  I looked at the clock, and it glowed, “5:45 A.M.”  I looked down at my almost-three year old son who was bright-eyed and alert, holding up a half-opened packet of instant oatmeal.  “I’m hungry… you cook my oatmeal?” he demanded much more loudly.  

Ughhh... I hate daylight saving time.

Daylight savings time was first conceived by Benjamin Franklin in 1784 and was designed to help us make the most of the natural sunlight variations of the seasons.  If we use natural sunlight most optimally, then overall we save on energy and electricity costs for lighting and appliances.  While this idea may make sense, it can be difficult to make that transition twice a year, especially for children.  

So, how can you help your child adjust quicker?
1.
  1. Light-blocking curtains.  This is especially useful in the spring when bedtime is suddenly at a time when the sun is still bright and shining.  Every spring, we change the clocks forward.  Without fail at bedtime, one of my kids will say, “It’s not nighttime!” and show me how bright it is outside our windows.    So, I then show them the clock, reassure that it is indeed nighttime and then usher them rapidly into their bedrooms where they can’t see the sunlight because the curtains have light-blocking liners.  It also works for the fall time change so that the ones who wake up with sunlight, don’t wake up so early.  These types of curtains can be purchased at many home goods stores.
  2.  Change the clocks earlier in day.  Technically, we are supposed to switch at 2 a.m… but I don’t suppose that anyone actually stays awake to change the clocks.  Therefore, change it before your kids go to bed and keep bedtime at the “new” time.  For example, my children go to bed at 8 p.m.   So, I changed the clocks around 5 p.m. to reflect the new time (turned it back to 4 p.m.)  Then they slept at the new 8 p.m. (which was 9 p.m.) and then they were supposed to sleep the full ten hours (apparently my youngest son did not get the memo).  It just gives your family the chance to adjust on Saturday and Sunday, instead of just on Sunday. 
  3. Adjust nap times gradually.  For little children, adjusting naps by 15-30 minutes a few days ahead of the scheduled clock change helps to make the 1 hour switch less painful. 
  4. Shut off technology.  While it’s tempting to use that extra hour to watch TV, play video games, text, or surf the Web, it has been shown that all of these stimulate our brains, and interfere with our bodies to “shut down” easily.  Turn off all electronic devices at least one hour before you go to sleep.  This is true any time of the year.
  5. Calming rituals before bed.  Stretching, massage, lavender baths, stories, soothing songs, and so on.  Look for ways to relax your child so that sleep will come easily.  
  6. Eat healthy and exercise the next day.  One of the best ways to combat fatigue is to eat a good breakfast that is high in protein and fiber.   Then exercise sometime during the day to get the natural endorphins that fight fatigue.  Do this as a family and you’ll all feel better.
So, if you are still adjusting the time change, try some of the above to get back on track. 

Of note, when it gets dark so early, it can be very hard in the evenings to stay energized and alert.  Studies have shown an increased number of car accidents and pedestrian accidents just after the autumn clock change because it is so dark and we are more tired as we drive in the evenings.  So, please be extra careful as you are driving or walking around after dark these next few weeks.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment