Saturday, October 9, 2010

Birthday Party Madness

“When’s my party?”  asked my daughter.  She’s turning four next month.   Ooops.  Guess I'd better start calling places! 

I used to be really great at planning parties for my kids.  Now, I’m on the 20th birthday party (if I add up all the birthday parties for my four kids) and my enthusiasm has waned drastically.

Once I had a party at my home, and it was soooo much work that I vowed never to do it again.   Hours of cleaning and prep beforehand, then hours of cleaning afterward.  The kids loved it, the parents and adults had a nice time hanging out together, but I was exhausted.   I’m much too lazy to repeat the experience.

But the alternative is really pricey.  One can easily shell out $300 for a 90-minute playdate for your child and 14 of his/her closest friends.  It’s really nice to just show up with a cake and walk out an hour and half later lugging leftovers and presents.  The kids are sugared-up, worn out, and a good time is had by all.

I don’t know about you, but I don’t remember these kinds of parties when I was a kid.  I seem to remember small gathering of a few neighbor friends or school friends, a grocery store birthday cake (loved the frosting flowers!), and some simple games.  

Now it’s an event.  Bouncing, dancing, climbing, exercising, arts and crafts, petting zoos, swimming, cooking, video games, and so on.  I know…  because we’ve done them all.   As my oldest is getting out of the mega-party phase, we’ve moved on to sleepovers and movies and smaller (but longer) affairs.

The birthday party social calendar is equally nuts.  Any of you who have young kids know what I’m talking about.  If you figure an average of 20 kids in a preschool class, it’s a lot of birthdays and parties.  My children have more parties and events in one year than I’ve had in the last ten years!  I’m glad they’re having fun – but it’s crazy!  I remember shopping on Black Friday one year and buying over twenty potential birthday gifts.  It’s so much easier to have a stash of pre-bought presents to choose from as opposed to remembering last minute and having to run out to the store before the party.

Our county recently banned food for birthdays at school – no more cupcakes, donuts, cookies, or other treats.  In an attempt to curb the obesity epidemic, they want to reduce the junk food that kids are getting at school.  At first, I was a little upset because I thought of how disappointed the kids would be.  But then, they allow other goodies – pencils, books, and so on – just not food.  As I thought about it, I was really impressed by this decision.  It sends a great message that you can celebrate without eating junk.  Also for the kids who are trying hard to maintain a good weight, it reduces the temptation of that yummy cupcake with frosting and sprinkles.  (Plus now I don’t have make them!  Don’t get me wrong, I love to bake – but not at 8 p.m. at night after work!)

So, birthdays – a great time to celebrate, but how to make it less materialistic?  One parent I know asked for donations to charity instead of presents.  What a great idea!  For that party, my kids learned how to donate money, what it was for, and how it helped others.  It was a valuable life lesson.  Others I know said no presents, just come and play.  That was also great fun.   Perhaps a memorable event (like a circus outing or laser tag with a few friends) instead of a party of 15 kids from school.   And don’t even get me started on goodie bags (talk about kids feeling entitled to things… it’s so embarrassing when your kid demands a bag at the end of a party… what is that about?)

Oh well, time to get planning – yikes, I only have three weeks left!  Got any birthday ideas?   I’d love to hear them!  Thanks for reading!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Dr. Chung,

    I stumbled across this on fb and as an occasional blogger myself, decided to check it out. We are FPA "fans." As a busy mom of 3 (ages 6, 4 next mo, and 1.5), I can totally relate.

    We have chosen to incorporate fundraisers into our birthday activities. It's fun, a bit of work, but totally worth it! I have a friend that started an organization after her son passed away on his 2nd birthday. http://www.bradyssmile.org/home.htm They started by making "Brady's blankets" and donating them to the NICU's in Pittsburgh. They now provide blankets, crib side monitors, etc. to several hospitals along the east coast including Inova Fairfax. They became affiliated with Inova through a friendship they developed with another child's family while receiving treatment in Pittsburgh. They have also started mini libraries in a few of the hospitals that receive their donations.

    One year a neighbor who owns a moon bounce rental donated a water slide and moon bounce. I asked friends to bring donations in lieu of gifts. Another year, we set up a lemonade stand and bake sale on the corner. All the kids ran the stand. It was a blast! We were able to collect generous donations.

    Choose your favorite charity and get creative.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great ideas! I had heard about the www.bradysmile.org website and organization. Was it from you? I love the lemonade stand idea! Maybe apple cider in the fall?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loquat is for cough and lung in Chinese medicine. Sometimes i would take the Ninjiom Pei Pa Koa which is an extract of loquat when got scratchy throat.

    You can access info online @
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
    ninjiom.50webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cider idea! To make it easier, ask friends and neighbors to donate baked goods. Awesome that you have already heard of Brady's Smile, because I don't think it was from us. Matt and Annie would be thrilled to know that. I think we've only seen you once in the office and that was years ago with our 1st son. Fortunately we have very healthy kids and have only required well checks.

    ReplyDelete