Sunday, October 3, 2010

Video Games – The Brain Drain

The other day I was sitting with my four kids at a restaurant with some friends and their children.  One of our kids was playing Pokemon on a handheld Nintendo DS.  Surrounding this child were a total of six other kids, varying from ages 2 to 9, who were staring intently at this tiny 3 x 4 inch screen.  They all had the same look and I'm guess that you know the look… slack-jawed, eyes glazed, brain off and ears closed to everything except the high-pitched music coming from the little machine.  They were completely quiet, mesmerized by the moving little creatures on the tiny screen.  The adults wondered at the absence of the normal chaos and stress that comes with taking seven children to a restaurant together.

It’s confusing to know what to do.  The relief that comes with having the children entertained is so wonderful.   The adults could actually TALK to each other… instead of scarfing down bites of food, trying to yell bits of conversation to each other while pulling little Johnny off the table and pleading with little Meagan to eat another bite of broccoli. 

But we know that this cannot be healthy.  They don’t appear to be using any higher brain function.  They are completely zoned-out while watching video and computer games, movies, television.   There is minimal physical movement.  It’s no wonder that there is an obesity epidemic in our country! 

The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that children be limited to one to two hours of screen time TOTAL.  This includes television, computers, and handhelds.  While this is achievable with very young kids, it becomes much harder to do this as your kids get older.  So much school work now requires the use of the computer, and much of today’s social life exists on Facebook, MySpace, YouTube, and texting. 

So, how to counter the couch potato syndrome and video game brain drain?  The evolution of game systems that make kids (and adults) move their bodies when they play is a nice compromise.  One of the most popular systems out now is the Nintendo Wii.  They have several sports and exercise games that combine exercise while having fun.  Microsoft will soon have an Xbox add-on called Kinect that will allow you to play video games just moving your body – no controller needed!  Even adventure and driving and simulation games using Kinect will require you to move your body.  Sony will also have a device that adds to the Playstation 3 to add functionality similar to the Wii Remote.   

Of course, if you played video games as a kid (or now), you know this stuff is addictive.  Much of my young life was spent in front of Pac-Man, Space Invaders, and Tetris.  Try to limit it now for your kids – they have a lifetime of computers and cell phones and who knows what else in the future.  Get them to read books, use their imagination with playdough, coloring or crafts, run around outside (or inside), play board games, or whatever else you can come up with so that the rest of their brains can develop.  Teach them to entertain themselves without needing a battery or a plug!  It’s hard I know (as I sit here in front of a computer on my second cup of coffee)… but we should at least try!

Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Sandy,

    Great post, thanks. I agree 100% with all your points. I let my 3.5 yo son play with my iPhone from time to time when he's just not able to sit still at a restaurant or has to sit for long car rides. But, I have filled my iPhone with educational games where he learns numbers, shapes, words, etc. Of course, some games are less educational than others. And, actually, his favorite activity is listening to the music on there. Anyway, you still want to limit the time spent as the AAP suggests, but it seems to put at least some quality in that time.

    Also, I am a firm believer that the best method to get kids to do something is to do it yourself (eating broccoli excluded). So, I would suggest that family hikes, family runs, playing football in the backyard, etc. should be thrown in as an important tool. Even if you do the activity by yourself, it can be powerfully influential for your kid to see you doing it. I ran my first 5k this morning and my son instantly started talking about running. He borrowed my iPod and put it in his pocket just like I did when I started the race and then turned to me and said "I have to run now". I'm planning on taking him to the track with me and letting him see me run. I've seen father-son pairs there a lot and I hope that when my son gets a little older, he'll run with me too.

    Best Wishes,

    Rich Baker

    ReplyDelete